Follow @PralinesCrunchs

Monday, April 14, 2014

"Buttermilk" Waffles


One of my favorite weekend breakfasts are homemade waffles, always with cranberries and dark chocolate chips, a strawberry syrup, and a cappuccino.  It's especially delicious when combined with nowhere to rush.   Given that I am now a participant to all sorts of challenges (the latest is the 10K steps a day 30-day challenge at the gym that started yesterday), I set out in search of a "lighter" recipe.   I opened up several of the cookbooks I own (interestingly, most of them began the "W" section with "walnuts") and finally found "waffles" in Gwyneth Paltrow's It's All Good:  Delicious, Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great.   These were gluten-free, sugar-free (I made them less so by adding chocolate chips), dairy-free and yet amazing.  The kids proclaimed these their favorite (and I've fed them waffles that required whole sticks of butter in the past), so I'll be making them again.

Here is the recipe from It's All Good.

"Buttermilk" Waffles

  • 3 cups soy milk (I don't use soy milk, so I substituted almond)
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp good-quality maple syrup
  • 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used 1 cup almond flour)
  • 1 cup brown rice flour (I used 1 cup tapioca flour)
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • A large pinch of sea salt
  • Oil spray for the waffle maker
  • My add-ons:  1 cup of frozen cranberries + 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips

Mix the milk and lemon juice in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken (to make the "buttermilk").  Whisk in vanilla and maple syrup.  In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.  Combine the wet and dry ingredients but be careful to not over mix.  Add the add-ons, if any.  Heat the waffle maker, grease with a little oil, and cook 4-7 minutes depending on the machine.   (A couple of years ago I took the guessing work out of the waffle making and bought this Calphalon No Peek? waffle maker that rings when the waffles reach the cooking setting you use.)  Serve with maple syrup or with the syrup I suggest below (which I adapted from Nigella Lawson).

Strawberry Syrup

  • 1-2 cups frozen strawberries (if using 2 cups, may need to add 1-2 tbs of hot water to get the right consistency)
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 3 tbsp powdered sugar

Process everything in a blender (I use the Vitamix, which always makes it super smooth).







Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment