Follow @PralinesCrunchs

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Beet and Goat Cheese Salad

Last summer we traveled to St. Louis with the kids over a long weekend.   It was one of those spur of the moment things, when you wake up in the morning and think that you have three free days ahead and wouldn't it be nice to spend two of them on the opposite side of the state.  So we got into our car and drove to St. Louis.   I started calling the hotels as we began approaching the city.  I was quickly informed that because of some big event that weekend most of the hotels were booked.   I tried Hilton and The Four Seasons and Marriott.   I finally was able to book us a room at the Ritz, which was upgraded by the hotel to a suit upon our arrival (being a member of loyalty programs sometimes does pay off).   At cocktail hour we joined other concierge guests on the top floor for a buffet.  Among the offerings was a delicious beet salad.  Thanks to my Russian heritage, I like anything with beets, but this was beyond delicious.  It had oranges and goat cheese and a creamy dressing.


Beet and goat cheese salad at the Ritz

I've been trying to recreate this recipe ever since.  I think I came pretty close with this.  


Orange, baked beets, goat cheese, crushed garlic, salt, onion, sour cream

I wash and wrap each beet in foil and bake them at 400 degrees for about an hour.  I let them cool (usually overnight), but you can make a warm salad, as well.   I then cut the orange segments out of the orange with a paring knife, carefully avoiding the membranes.    I slice the onion (usually using a mandolin slicer) and combine all of the ingredients in a bowl.   If you like beets, it's truly delicious.



2 comments:

  1. I made this salad last night. Thank you for the inspiration and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete