Follow @PralinesCrunchs

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Prosciutto Salad

One of my bridesmaids, Natasha, now lives in Paris (I know, I have cool friends).  She emailed me a recipe for a salad that is similar to what she's been served at her neighborhood restaurant, Cafe Le Passy.  Since it had prosciutto in it and I like salt, I had to make it. Understanding that this is a re-creation of a re-creation, I am sure it's not the same salad as what's served at Le Passy, but it is quite delicious nonetheless and easy to assemble.  Because the simpler things are, the higher quality they need to be, I made an excursion after today's workout at the gym to The Fresh Market to get just the right ingredients.  It made an amazing dinner and a couple of very happy Americans.
Here is Natasha's recipe (thank you, Natasha!) for 2 servings:

  • 1 bag of mixed greens (I used a mix of organic arugula and organic baby spinach)
  • 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced lengthwise
  • 6 slices of prosciutto
  • 4 thick slices of goat cheese warmed in the oven (I broiled the chevre for about 4 minutes)
  • David Lebovitz' vinaigrette (the recipe and technique are described here, for which you will need sea salt, red wine vinegar, a minced shallot, Dijon mustard, and olive oil)





The dressing should keep for about eight hours at room temperature, but if you want to make the dressing in advance, it's best to add the shallots closer to the serving time, so they keep their full flavor.




Assemble the salad in individual plates by laying the greens on the plate, then placing the sliced egg around the plate.



Place three slices of prosciutto on top.



Place the melted chevre on top of the prosciutto.



Drizzle the dressing on top.    



Although I didn't have any white wine on hand, my Paris friend recommends to serve this salad with a glass of well-chilled Sancerre or Riesling.   Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I am definitely making this salad this week!

    ReplyDelete